Over a lifetime the average person will use approximately 50 liters or 620 tubes of toothpaste. That is a lot of tubes and a lot of toothpaste!
Children swallow large amounts of toothpaste relative to what they use. Even as adults we will consistently consume small amounts of it daily. Toothpaste is not the only personal care product getting into our bodies and blood stream. In additional articles, we talk about why more people are turning to natural products and some very good reasons to go natural. The toothpaste we use and how we maintain our oral hygiene affects our health, so it is worthwhile making sure we are confident our toothpaste contains ingredients we are comfortable consuming.
How Do You Make Homemade Natural Toothpaste?
The great news is it will take you longer to drive to the store and buy your regular toothpaste than it will to make this homemade natural toothpaste – it’s that quick and easy!
How much you choose to make will depend on the size of your family and how much toothpaste you use daily, so scale up the recipe as needed.
Added Benefits of Homemade Natural Toothpaste
Yes, there are extra benefits!
- Natural toothpaste does not contain sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) so it will not make foods taste terrible soon after brushing. Go on, drink that orange juice and enjoy every sip!
- There are no humectants in homemade natural toothpaste so it will not stick to your basin like hardened glue or coat the edges of your lips white. Bye-bye toothpaste marks!
- Baking soda balances mouth PH and aids in reminineralisation (healing) of tooth enamel. Check out our blog post on the benefits of baking soda in oral care.
- No more toothpaste tubes! Toothpaste tubes are usually made from a combination of plastic and aluminium, and they do not degrade. Tubes cannot be recycled in South Africa – all +600 tubes per person will pile up in landfills for future generations to deal with.
2 Ingredients In Your Kitchen That Can Do The Job, and do it well:
1. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2. Coconut oil
Want to know why we chose baking soda as our main ingredient in homemade natural toothpaste? Check out our blog on some of the healthy eating facts about natural toothpaste and baking soda.
- 1 level tablespoon of coconut oil (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 – 2 drops of peppermint essential oil (Optional)
- A small mixing bowl and spoon
- A jar with a wide enough mouth to allow you to spoon in the mixture easily and access it with your toothbrush (Small Baby purity bottles are a great size or small jars with hinged lids to allow for single handed opening and closing).
- Add your baking soda and coconut oil to a mixing bowl and mix well, until all the oil is evenly mixed in with the baking soda
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil and mix
- Place your mixture in your chosen glass jar and allow to settle overnight at room temperature.
Use and enjoy!
Tips for Making Great Homemade Natural Toothpaste
1. It may initially seem impossible that the relatively small amount of coconut oil will incorporate ALL the baking soda, but a couple minutes of persistence will likely prove you wrong (don’t be hasty to add more coconut oil).
2. The melting point of coconut oil is room temperature so depending on the weather you may have to adjust your ratio of coconut oil to baking soda. Always leave your mixture overnight before you make this decision, often the consistency changes as it settles.
3. Because of the coconut oil, if this toothpaste is exposed to very high or very low temperatures it will change consistency, so keep it stored at room temperature (Rock hard toothpaste at 6am can easily be solved with some hot water, but it is a tad inconvenient).
4. Commercial toothpaste contains artificial sweeteners. This homemade alternative is salty in comparison and takes some getting used to, even when you add a few drops of peppermint oil. But, once your teeth-brushing expectations have adjusted, you will likely never look back!
5. Always be cautious when using any essential oil additives and do your research on recommended doses beforehand.
Our Personal Experience
Whenever someone expresses interest in the Natural Movement and asks me where they should start, I always suggest this natural homemade toothpaste – it is so easy and the benefits are numerous! Whether they want to simplify, move to a more natural lifestyle, go zero waste or chemical free this is a great recipe to meet all objectives.
We personally have been using this homemade natural toothpaste for over a year. My teeth speak for themselves and I constantly get compliments about how healthy and white my teeth look. I have a clean bill of dental health with significant noticeable improvements in the last year. Whether these improvements are related to the change in toothpaste or other elements of my lifestyle I cannot say. We absolutely LOVE our toothpaste and will not go back to commercial varieties.
There are other recipes for homemade natural toothpaste but this is the simplest, most practical and effective one for our lifestyle.
Let us know what you think. Will you try this recipe? Is there another recipe you would like us to review?