A balanced and healthy soup recipe for a hearty vegetable and bean soup is such an easy way to incorporate more delicious wholefoods into your diet. Soups can be made in bulk, freeze easily and are so incredibly versatile as a dish! If you aren’t the world’s best cook soups are incredibly forgiving and a great way to get some homecooked goodness into your body. Soups aren’t just a winter treat. Incredible summer cold soups are delicious too and let’s not forget the chill of spring rain that often comes through, calling for a bowl of scrumptious warmth. It’s no secret that we LOVE soups. Check out our other healthy soup recipes to get some more soup ideas.
This particular soup incorporates all the delicious colours of fresh produce with the hearty goodness of beans and spices. A perfect twist to a standard butternut soup.
Turning A Common Soup Into A Balanced, Healthy Soup Recipe
Butternut soup is often a firm favourite and arguably the most common soup across South Africa. This recipe takes a butternut soup and turns it into a whole meal, complete with protein-loaded beans, metabolism-boosting spices and all the colours of the rainbow: the way a balanced meal should look. AND, it is absolutely delicious! Make in bulk and freeze your soup for that cold, rainy day when time to cook is minimal.
How To Make A Deliciously Balanced Soup With Hearty Vegetables, Beans and Spices
Credit to Ibetesam Essa @ibtesam_essa for this incredible recipe. Log in to access the full recipe.
- 1kg butternut, diced
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 1 whole aubergine, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup mini roasting tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup Mung Beans, pre-soaked till soft
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Soup
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place diced butternut in an oven tray and season with salt, pepper, cumin and mustard seeds.
- Drizzle olive oil and bake till soft, roughly 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan add olive oil, onion, garlic and thyme and braise till onions are translucent.
- Add roasted butternut together with pan juices.
- Add vegetable stock, salt, pepper and paprika and allow to come to a boil. Reduce heat to low to medium and using your hand blender, blend soup until a smooth consistency.
- Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Optional: add coconut milk for a creamier soup consistency.
For the Grilled Aubergine
- Slice Aubergine in half and season with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Place Aubergine and roasting tomatoes on the oven tray used to roast butternut and roast on 180C till vegetables have softened.
- Once cooked, increase heat to grill and allow vegetables to char slightly.
- Remove from the oven.
Lentils and Masala Chickpeas
- Drizzle pan with olive oil and cook chickpeas in a mixture of: 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, Salt and pepper.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice
This delicious soup is best served hot with a slice of our delicious sour dough and artisan breads!