Pea soup done right is so incredibly delicious! Who thought those pesky little green things that every chilled detests could turn into something so nutritiously yum! This easy pea soup recipe is so simple and freezer friendly it will likely become a staple in your home.
Why Green Peas?
Green peas (split peas or whole) are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus and folate. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, niacin, vitamin B2, molybdenum, zinc, protein, magnesium, iron, potassium, and choline. Flavanols (including catechin and epicatechin), phenolic acids (including caffeic and ferulic acid), and carotenoids (including alpha- and beta-carotene) are among the phytonutrients provided by green peas. They are an all-around champion within the legumes and a good part of any balanced diet.
How To Make Easy Pea Soup Recipe
Pea soup is incredibly easy, especially when using split peas. It’s another one of those throw-it-all-in-and-mix soup recipes that we absolutely LOVE! This easy pea soup recipe has all the goodness of peas with a smooth texture. So delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil OR 1/4 cup water for water saute
- 2 cups green split peas
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 head of cabbage (about 2 cups), finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 – 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- mineral salt & fresh black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped (or 2 – 3 teaspoons dried)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat, add the onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, cabbage and herbs, and saute, stirring frequently, for 3 -4 minutes.
- Add the split peas, bay leaves and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parsley 30 minutes before removing from heat.
- Let soup cool slightly and remove bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup until desired consistency. You can also puree using a food/processor or blender, may take two batches.
- Taste for seasoning adding salt and pepper as needed.
- Leave soup to settle and thicken.
If you liked this recipe be sure check out our other delicious and easy soup recipes.