Every now and then you come across a recipe that is so easy, so quick and so delicious it is almost unbelievable! This is one such recipe. The flavour combination of beautiful fresh paprika with roasted nuts and buttered couscous is mouth-watering! It is perfect for braais as a side dish, as a light meal idea or as part of a larger main meal. Experiment with it as you like with big or small groups.
A Quick, Easy, Delicious Light Meal Idea Perfect For Braais
This recipe serves 6 – 8 as a side dish, so feel free to scale it up or down depending on portion sizes and group size. The butter in this recipe gives it a delicious flavour! We would love your feedback on which vegan-friendly substitutes work best!
How To Make This Delicious Paprika, Nut And Grain Side Dish
- 2 Cups CousCous
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2/3 Cup AlmondS, chopped
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 2 1/4 Cups water
- 3/4 Tsp Coarse Salt
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and chopped almonds, saute until the garlic is fragrant and almonds lightly toasted (+/- 2 min).
- Add the paprika and saute for another +/- 2 mins
- Add the water, stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and immediately add and stir in the couscous and salt.
- Cover the pan with a cloth and let stand until the liquid is absorbed (+/-10 min).
- Uncover the couscous and lightly fluff with a fork.
- Add the butter and mix until melted.
- Fluff once more and serve
Tips for enjoying this easy paprika, nut and grain dish …
- This recipe serves a large number so feel free to scale it down for a smaller group.
- The couscous can easily be substituted for millet to create a gluten-free version of the same recipe. If using millet cook the millet by boiling 2 cups millet to 4 cups water until soft.
- For extra flavour use pure, fresh paprika.
- To add some heat to the dish add in some chilli.
- Garnish with parsley or coriander for a dash of colour and flavour.
This recipe is so quick and easy to make, absolutely delicious and goes well with any hot meal as a side dish or on its own as a light meal or snack.
Best eaten warm but also delicious cold. Enjoy!