Playdough is one of those exceptionally easy healthy activities for kids that we often forget about. It can be made from all natural ingredients, used as an educational tool and stimulates creativity. It makes a great gift for children of a range of ages. Thankfully it is so simple to make, you can whip up a batch of natural homemade playdough in under 5 minutes. In a time when there is so much debate about gift ideas and healthy activities for kids, the simpler options are often the best.
Playdough As A Healthy Activity For Kids
This easy, homemade, natural playdough recipe is so easy you can effortless make up a new batch every couple of weeks. It contains no toxic ingredients and is completely edible, making it suitable for all ages.
- 1 Cup Stone Ground Cake Flour
- 1/4 Cup fine sea salt
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 to 5 drops food coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the water and oil to a medium non-stick pot and heat on medium heat on the stove. Add food coloring to the water mixture.
- After the water is hot, but not boiling, slowly add the dry ingredients to the pot, while mixing to combine. Use a wooden or plastic cooking spoon.
- Continuously stir until the ingredients combine, dry out and begin to form a ball.
- Place on a sheet of wax paper until it cools down a bit. Then knead the dough for a minute or two to bring it all together.
Benefits of playdough for a child’s development
Playdough aids in your child’s development in a range of different aspects. Using play in such an effortless way for development is often one of the best development tools. Playdough helps to promote:
- Fine motor skill development
- Creativity and imagination
- Appreciation for calming and therapeutic activities
- Development and strengthening of hand-eye coordination
- Play with a range of senses and skills
Playdough Alternatives And More Healthy Activities for Kids
If your child likes to produce and keep marvelous creations with their dough consider switching to this easy cold clay recipe. Unlike play dough, cold clay allows you to mold more precisely and will set at room temperature to hard clay that can be painted and kept as an ornament. Our easy, natural cold clay recipe for healthy kids play activities is on our blog. Also be sure to check out our article on craft and alternative gift ideas for children.