The Big Deal About Skin Care
Skincare is a big deal, for women and for men these days. Many of us have spent thousands on products to lighten, rejuvenate, exfoliate or create an even tone, youthful complexion. We go to great lengths to get our skin to stay healthy looking. The options available on the shelf seem to get bigger and the range of treatment types more extreme. Unfortunately, nature doesn't have its own marketing company so the natural options often aren't as obvious.
Why We Shouldn't Ignore The Natural Skin Care Options
Nature makes some incredible ingredients and like most things, we don't need to look much further than our pantry. If it isn't good enough to go in our bodies we should be rethinking putting it on our skin. If you want to know more about opting for natural ingredients for your skin have a look at our prior article explaining the benefits and importance of natural skincare products in your personal care routine.
The good news is a rejuvenating natural face mask that is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, lightens blemishes and fine lines, exfoliates and ultimately gets that healthy glow to stay only requires 3 ingredients.
Natural Face Mask For Skin That Stays Healthy
This mask is really easy and effective. You can make it with or without the honey and there are plenty vegan-friendly versions. Each of the ingredients has their own unique benefits that help your skin stay healthy. Read on to understand the valuable properties in each ingredient.
Skin that stays healthy is easy with these simple ingredients...
The lactic acid in yoghurt is an alpha hydroxy acid. It removes dead skin cells in much the same way as a light chemical exfoliator. Live culture yoghurt without the added sugars, emulsifiers and preservatives is what you need. You can even make it yourself! Homemade yoghurt is a great healthy food idea and you can get our recipe here. See further down for our Vegan-Friendly recommendations.
Turmeric is gaining in popularity as a wonder ingredient capable of a range of amazing benefits. Thanks to the curcumin it contains, the most notable benefit is its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants. This has benefits for the inside and outside of our bodies. For your skin, it results in much-improved luster and glow and increased rates of cell renewal.
The right pure honey can have antibacterial qualities and healing properties. It really is a wonder ingredient, especially if you are an acne sufferer.
How to make a Natural Face Mask
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using the back of the spoon or a cosmetic brush apply the mask all over your face and neck.
- Leave mask to dry for 15 minutes
- Wash off with warm water or a damp facecloth.
Repeat the process once a week, or as desired, for a constantly glowing and more even-tone complexion.
Make Your Natural Face Mask Even Better
- Consistency is key. For noticeable benefits repeat this process once or twice a week consistently. You won’t be the only one that notices the transformation!
- The ingredient ratios are adjustable. More turmeric will improve the effect but too much turmeric will give your skin, and pillows, a yellow tinge for a day. If you increase the turmeric take it easy, especially if you have a lighter complexion.
- The honey is optional. If you don’t have any or aren’t certain of the quality of your honey then opt for just the yoghurt and turmeric.
- You can also add a couple drops of lemon juice to the mix for some extra zing. Do your research on this first and decide if it for you. Some skins are more sensitive to acid-based ingredients than others.
- Be warned: everything turmeric touches will turn yellow! Turmeric has always and is still used as a VERY effective fabric dye. When undertaking this process always wear dark clothes, use a dark facecloth and make sure your hair is tied back.
- The mask will tingle as it dries. Some people have more sensitive skin than others. The rule of thumb with any skincare product: If it burns, take it off immediately.
Vegan-Friendly Natural Face Masks
The traditional turmeric masks are made with gram flour instead of yoghurt. There are stacks of recipe variations for these masks. Do a quick google search for Homemade Ubtan and you will instantly be rewarded with a list of options of which one is bound to suit your needs.
Our Personal Experience
After a weekend away in the outdoors or a few late nights rendering my skin a bit damaged or on the duller side of life, this mask has been an amazing remedy! When my skin has been feeling particularly rough, I have used the mask for 3 days consecutively before reverting back to the normal once a week routine. Let your skin be the judge.
Reinvesting in ourselves is important for us and those we care for. We can’t pour from an empty cup. Enjoy the time taken for yourself! You, and your skin will feel better for it.