A Delicious AND Healthy Superfood Desert
If you haven't yet had the pleasure of cooking with teff this chocolate pudding recipe is likely to be the one that makes you start. Teff is an ancient grain superfood produced locally in South Africa. Did you know teff releases starch as it cooks in a similar way to corn flour so it can also be used as a thickening agent, without the horrible bitter taste of cornstarch?! This makes it perfect for creating a healthier version of the normal chocolate pudding recipe for the youngsters, and oldies alike!
Despite this pudding being cooked from grain it is surprisingly smooth and incredibly delicious! Give it a try - you won't be disappointed! Here's the details of what you need ...
Chocolate Pudding Recipe Using Teff
- Place the teff in a pot with the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally to ensure the teff does not stick to the pot.
- Once cooked remove the teff from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the cocoa powder, honey, sugar and vanilla into the cooled teff and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and place into the fridge to chill.
- Serve chilled with toppings of your choice. We like to use almond flakes, desiccated coconut or fruit pieces.