Summer is the perfect time to experiment with delicious superfoods in salads. This salad is full of natural grains, nutrient rich dates, figs, almonds and chickpeas. Did I mention the dressing is a 30 second mixture of delicious and interesting combinations of natural ingredients from your pantry?! We LOVE the delicious flavour combinations in this recipe!
This salad serves 4 and can be eaten as a full meal or a side dish to a larger meal. It is amazingly refreshing for a warm day and can withstand being out of the fridge for a few hours. It makes a delicious lunchbox option! Gluten intolerant? We have gluten and gluten free wholegrain variations in this recipe.
How to make your naturally healthy superfood salad
- 250g uncooked couscous or 1 cup raw white quinoa or 1 cup red quinoa or 1 cup raw millet or 1 cup raw amaranth
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas or 1/3 cup raw chickpeas
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1 cup mixed peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are cooking dried chickpeas we recommend soaking the chickpeas prior to cooking to reduce cooking time.
- Cook the quinoa, amaranth or millet in 2 cups of boiling water until soft, stirring constantly to ensure it does not burn.
- Combine all main ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well until light and fluffy
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a separate cup and pour over salad
- Mix well and serve at room temperature.
Tips for even better salad:
- Like most salads, but especially this one, it is all about the dressing. This dressing has such a unique taste and combines so well with the dates and figs you it makes an incredible taste profile!
- Rather err on the side of caution when cooking your grain or couscous: an undercooked crunchy version is much tastier than a sticky overcooked porridge like version.
This salad is great for all kinds of occasions. With the light fruity taste it is perfect for summer lunches, picnics and braais. It also keeps well in the fridge (a great salad when you need to pre-prepare meals). It’s a firm favourite in our household!