The biggest request we get from customers is for sugar-free breakfast ideas. These easy and incredibly delicious polenta pancakes by Chef Catherine Garden from Fennel and Fig are the perfect breakfast alternative. They can be dressed up into a savoury or a naturally sweet version, and whipped up in 15 minutes.
Why Polenta as a sugar-free breakfast idea?
Polenta is an incredibly versatile product. A coarse ground version of yellow maize it can be used within baking, as a porridge or even fried to make delicious crispy baked goodies. It is higher in fibre, beta carotene and other nutrients than the standard yellow maize, making it great as a sugar-free breakfast idea. See more details about polenta and other recipes here.
What is non-GMO Polenta?
Non-GMO polenta is produced from seeds that have not been genetically modified to enhance production. South Africa is one of the biggest producers of maize in the world. Almost all the maize produced in South Africa is genetically modified, resistant to glyphosate-containing herbicides. This results in more residues of herbicides in the environment and on the final harvested product. Non-GMO maize is not resistant to glyphosate herbicides resulting in a reduction in the use and residues within the environment and on our food.
How to make Polenta Pancakes?
- ¼ cup non-GMO Polenta
- ¾ cup stoneground cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup Milk, and extra if needed
- Pinch of salt
- Combine polenta, flour, baking soda and salt. Add milk, combine well adding more milk to get desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice, stir and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- The polenta absorbs liquid so you must check consistency; the batter must not be to firm as corn cake will be hard. Add extra milk if needed.
- Fry in pan until golden on both sides and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
Optional : Add cooked whole corn kernels to the mixture.
- Macerated berries, honey and Greek yoghurt
- Spring onion and feta scramble
- Poached eggs, roasted tomatoes and grilled haloumi
- Smoked salmon and guacamole
- Fried eggs, bacon and tomato relish