Sweet muffin recipes are easy to come by but a good savoury muffin recipe is a bit more tricky to find. This polenta savoury muffin recipe is a must! It is easy and so versatile. It is a great base recipe to sneak in some steamed or cooked veg. These muffins freeze really well and make great lunchbox snacks to make ahead of time.
What's to love about polenta?
We LOVE polenta! It's so exciting to see it making a comeback in more and more areas! Interestingly, the word polenta originally referred to a dish of cooked coarse ground grain, any grain. In Italy, it still can mean a variety of ingredient options. Today, in South Africa, we know polenta as coarse ground yellow maize. Yellow maize is a different variety of maize to the common white maize. White maize is what is ground and used to make pap, phutu or mealie meal. Yellow maize, or polenta, has more flavour and can be used in a variety of dishes. In a savoury muffin recipe, it goes well with herbs or veggies.
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup stone ground cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp white spirit vinegar
- 1/2 cup high oleic sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Herbs and veg of your choice (Steamed butternut, broccoli, peppers etc work well)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine polenta, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add vinegar and stir to combine.
- Add oil and stir to combine, then add water and stir again until well combined.
- Grease muffin pan with oil and pour your mixture evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, they should be golden brown on top and pass the toothpick test.
Tips and tricks for great savoury muffins
- Add herbs and veg! This recipe is a great base recipe. Play around by adding other ingredients such as mixed herbs, steamed broccoli, butternut, red peppers or green peas.
- These muffins make great lunchbox snacks and freeze really well! A great one to make ahead and keep stored for when needed!
These are very versatile muffins and you could achieve great success with many different additions. Experiment to discover your favourite mix!