If you have curly, wavy or frizzy hair this recipe could change your life! Not all of us have hair that is ready to go as soon as we get out of bed. At the very least, most of us need the help of styling products for formal events. Commercial hair styling products often damage your hair, especially if used frequently. This natural hair gel recipe is great for styling your hair, taming frizz and giving incredible curl definition. It is also rich in vitamin E and healthy for your hair to boot! It suits any hair type or curl pattern from straight to afro. And it is so easy and simple to make - you only need 1 ingredient!
How To Make Natural Hair Gel Using Linseeds
To avoid confusion: flaxseed and linseed is exactly the same thing. The name you choose to call it depends on where you are from and what point in the chain you are. In cooking, it is often referred to as flaxseed. Locally it is more known as linseed, especially in farming and production industries.
This recipe is very easy but does require some time to boil and cool. Total prep time is only 5 minutes. Total cooking time is 30 minutes. Here's how it's done ...
- 1/4 cup linseeds
- 1 cup water
The above amounts will make approximately half a cup of hair gel. Adjust as necessary for your desired quantities.
- Place linseeds and water in a small pot on the stove.
- Boil the solution until you notice a string of mucous-looking liquid trail your spoon when stirring. This should take approximately 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the liquid from the stove and allow to cool to near room temperature (the longer you leave the solution to cool the thicker the gel will be). We recommend leaving the gel to stand for a minimum of 30 mins to an hour.
- Strain the cooled liquid through a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, muslin cloth or nylon stocking to separate the seeds from the gel.
- Tightly squeeze the bag of seeds with your hand to excrete all the gel liquid. Repeat until no more liquid remains.
- Pour the gel into a pump bottle or squeezy bottle for easy application
How To Apply Natural Flaxseed Hair Gel
The application of flaxseed gel is slightly different to other gels in that it is best applied to wet hair. Here’s how:
- After washing your hair, while your hair is still very wet, rub a small amount of gel (2cm coin size) in your hands and rake your gelled fingers through your hair.
- Repeat the process across your whole head. Use more gel than you think you need to. Your hair should feel completely saturated and slimy. It is best to do this process over a towel or bathtub to avoid drips and mess.
- Style your hair as desired and leave it to air dry.
If you are looking to create curl definition or tame frizz follow this process:
- Rake the gel through your hair with your fingers as per above.
- With an open hand hover at the base of your hair length. Lift your hair to its root and scrunch the hair into a fist of your hand at the same time. Hold your fist closed for a few seconds before letting go. “Scrunching” your hair will cause it to form into a natural curl pattern.
- Repeat this process across your whole head, being sure to pay attention to hair that is of differing lengths.
- Using an old cotton t-shirt repeat the scrunching process to absorb any excess liquid (The rough fibers of a bath towel will remove the gel from the cuticle of the hair making it less effective)
- Leave your hair to air dry naturally (this will take considerably longer than normal but is well worth it). You can also use a hair diffuser to dry your hair.
Our Personal experience
For my straight hair this gel is incredible! It is the only product I have used that has actually created some curl definition in my hair, and it lasts for more than a day! My hair feels so healthy afterward, it’s incredible! There are an endless number of reviews on youtube from those who use it or have tried it. It is really worth a try!
If in doubt, here are some links to a few Youtubers who have done video reviews of the final product and describing how to properly apply it:
Check out Jess’ video on how to apply flaxseed gel on super curly or very frizzy hair. Jess shows in detail how to do a wash and go for your whole hair as well as a slick low bun option using the gel.
Check out the first 5 minutes of Courtney’s video which shows how to apply flaxseed gel on medium curly to wavy hair. The same method applies if you have straight hair and are trying to achieve a semblance of a wave or curl.
Want to go one step closer to naturally healthy hair?
If you are interested in going completely natural in your care routine check out our post on the benefits of natural hair care and our article describing the best tried and tested natural hair wash methods. There are even options to easily achieving great looking hair on the run naturally, when you don’t have time to wash and style, with our natural dry shampoo recipe.