With our lives getting increasingly busy it is hard to figure out when to do simple things like washing your hair! We all want to look our best for every event but when that requires washing your hair daily it’s often just not practical. We know many commercial dry shampoos do not promote naturally healthy hair. Check out our article on the benefits of opting for a natural hair care routine. So you probably wonder, what your options are when your hair has reached that just-before-wash-day look?
Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. This trick is one of the easiest in beauty care and has been around for centuries! Everything you need for effective and natural dry shampoo is in your kitchen.
Homemade Dry Shampoo For Naturally Healthy Hair
When it comes to nasty chemical additives in personal care products, hair products often contain the worst. Check out our blog post on why natural hair care is beneficial. Thankfully, when it comes to dry shampoo the natural option is not only healthy but also incredibly easy.
How To Make Natural Dry Shampoo
Natural dry shampoo is so easy and uses ingredients are very likely already have in your kitchen. There is no cooking, no dishes created. It literally takes 2 ingredients, 2 steps and less than 2 minutes. Here’s how:
Ingredients & equipment:
- 4 tsp Cornflour or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder (optional – recommended for brunettes and those with dark hair).
- 1 wide mouthed shallow glass jar or tin
- 1 old blusher brush or face powder brush
- Combine the 2 dry ingredients into a shallow glass jar or tin
- Close the lid and shake the powders to combine evenly
How To Apply Your Natural Dry Shampoo
- Lightly coat your large makeup brush with the powder and dust over your hair in the areas showing some greasy shine.
- Using your hands lightly brush away any visible powder until no colour difference is visible.
Wa la, you just look like you spent an hour washing and drying your hair!
Our Tips For Naturally Healthy Hair With Dry Shampoo
- We recommend applying the dry shampoo after styling, but this would depend on the type of hairstyle you are wanting to achieve.
- Depending on how quickly your hair gets visibly dirty will determine how long the effects of the dry shampoo last. It should last about half the time of your regular hair wash routine. Thereafter the absorption power of the cornflour starts to wear off.
- The cornflour can be drying on your scalp. For this reason, we don’t recommend using it more frequently than once a week.
This dry shampoo recipe is such a life saver! We love it and hope you will too. Enjoy your clean looking hair!
If you are interested in understanding what it takes to move to a complete natural hair care routine, and ditching commercial hair products completely we have articles on the benefits of moving to natural hair care and our top natural hair wash options.
If you are looking for a natural styling option then our natural hair gel that promotes hair growth and strength is great!