We LOVE grain salads! There are so many versatile, easy to cook, delicious grains, it should be a crime to only use rice or couscous (which is technically a pasta not a grain!). This lemon and garlic beetroot salad with millet and rocket is such a great, fresh-feeling salad for summer we just can't get enough of it! Keep it simple or add in more veggies - it goes superbly with roasted butternut cubes, or even gem squash. Add in some feta or grilled halloumi - the options are endless.
The Benefits Of Millet
Millet is an incredibly versatile wholegrain. Once cooked, it is mild in taste with a fluffy texture. Cooked millet can be used interchangeably in recipes as a substitute for couscous or quinoa, although cooks slightly more sticky than quinoa. Millet is naturally gluten free, and rich in dietary fibre, both soluble and insoluble. The insoluble fibre in millet is known as a “prebiotic,” which means it supports good bacteria in your digestive system.
How To Make Lemon And Garlic Beetroot and Millet Salad
- 4 cups rocket or 1 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups millet (cooked)
- 1 cup roasted beetroot, diced
- Juice of half a lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes or roughly chopped raw almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (for frying)
- Sliced cucumber (optional)
- 1 grated carrot (optional)
- Clean and quarter beetroot, place in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for 30 - 60 minutes until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool before peeling (optional) and chopping into squares.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Boil millet in 3 cups water until soft and tender (once millet is cooked it resembles couscous with a light and fluffy texture). Set aside to cool.
- In a pan add coconut oil, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds and fry on low heat until pumpkin seeds have split and sesame seeds are delicious golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a serving bowl combine the millet, beetroot, almond flakes, rocket, seeds and dressing and mix well. Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving to allow the millet to absorb the dressing.
Serve and enjoy!