Icing or frosting is the secret devil in the detail when you are trying to make a traditional sweet treat a bit healthier. Icing is almost entirely sugar, so how do you even begin to replace this with something less refined? While you won't find something that is an exact substitute there this healthier chocolate frosting recipe a decent second. It won't be as sweet but after some getting used to it will more than satisfy the sweet craving.
What is Healthy Chocolate Frosting?
Healthy chocolate frosting is something that contains minimal, ideally no refined sugar. That being said it still needs to have a decent enough taste to satisfy the sweet tooth! Surprisingly this recipe for healthy chocolate frosting ticks our boxes. The extent of your sweet tooth will determine if it ticks yours. Definitely worth a try!
What to use this frosting for?
The obvious application for this recipe is CAKE! Combine this recipe with our gluten-free chocolate cake to make an all-round healthier chocolaty treat in cake or cupcake form. But, because this frosting is made from sweet potatoes you can use it in almost anything! Mix it into smoothies or porridges for a chocolate flavour. You can even put it on toast if you like! Your imagination and creativity is the limit.
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, roasted, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 Tbsp honey or date syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ensure that your sweet potatoes are well roasted and very soft (the skin should appear to sink into the sweet potato when well cooked).
- Add the roasted sweet potato and cocoa powder to a food processor. Process to combine (it should stick together in a ball).
- Add the honey (or date syrup), coconut oil (or grapeseed oil), vanilla and salt.
- Process again until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Spread on your favourite sweet treat or add to porridges or smoothies for delicious chocolatey flavour!
Tips and Tricks
- If you are using coconut oil, it is best to pipe or spread the frosting while it is still room temperature.
- If you are using the grapeseed oil, the frosting will stay soft and spreadable even after it has been stored in the fridge.
Spread over your favourite cake or add to your morning oats or fruit bowl for a delicious healthier chocolate frosting option.