It is so tricky to find decent recipes for a gluten-free chocolate cake. So often they are hard as a rock, require a million ingredients, crumble into dust or taste like cardboard. But, this recipe ticks all the right boxes! Not only is it gluten-free but it contains no refined sugar, is low-card, incredibly easy and deeeelicious!
We have tried a ton of different gluten-free chocolate cake recipes and almost all of them are either overly complicated or just don't give the desired result. We wanted something moist, spongy and soft, not dry and crumbly. You would think this would be easy! It has taken months to hunt down a perfect easy recipe.
This recipe does contain a lot of eggs. We have not personally tried it using an egg substitute but feel free to check out our tips and tricks section to find an egg substitute that works for you.
Originally this recipe was used to make brownies but we decided it was a bit spongy for brownies and made it more into a cake. It can also easily be used for cupcakes.
Why Opt For Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake?
Many people have issues with gluten and there are many theories behind why gluten sensitivities are on the rise. Most of them relate to the amount of gluten we are consuming because wheat flour is in almost all processed foods! No matter the school of thought, we need to be diversifying our diets to ensure we do not over-consume wheat. This means moving away from processed foods and making more yourself from whole food ingredients.
A Healthier Frosting Option
Sometimes it isn't the cake that is the unhealthiest part of the dish, often it is the sugar-loaded icing or frosting. We have an alternative frosting recipe that is made from sweet potatoes. Yes, you read that right! Try it as a great healthy chocolate icing alternative that you could use for almost anything.
How To Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbs water
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Combine all dry ingredients in a dish and mix well.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate dish. Mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, while stirring.
- Grease a square baking pan (approximately 20cm x 20cm) or place parchment paper on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour batter into baking pan and smooth out with a knife.
- Bake at 180’C for 30 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.
- This cake is best eaten warm straight out the oven!
- Try it with our healthy chocolate frosting recipe for something decadent that does not contain loads of refined sugars.
- Use this recipe for delicious cupcakes!