When you are dairy-free there are a few things that are hard to let go of, a creamy cheesy sauce is definitely one of them! This recipe for dairy free alfredo is so yum you may even choose to do your creamy cheese sauces this way in future even if you do eat dairy!
The Secret To A Dairy-Free, Creamy White Sauce
There are 2 magic ingredients that create the creamy, delicious texture in this alfredo sauce: cauliflower and dehulled hemp seeds. Cooked and blended together these ingredients give a creamy, luxurious texture with a slightly nutty flavour. Not only is this white sauce dairy free but thanks to the hemp seeds it is packed with omega 3 and a healthy dose of plant protein. Eat it with gluten-free pasta and you have a 100% gluten free meal too!
How Make Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower heads, about 1 med-large cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups veg broth
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 2 medium-sized lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (about 10g, add more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp tamari or soya sauce (optional)
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot and stir to combine. Pour in veg broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boil, cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender enough to mash with a spoon. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a blender, add the hemp seeds, lemon juice, salt and pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic and tamari/soya sauce (if applicable). Transfer the cauliflower and broth from the pot to the blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Taste test and add salt if necessary.
- Transfer the sauce back to the pot and simmer on low heat. Serve on a bed of zucchini noodles or pasta.
- Serve warm with parsley and/ or vegan parmesan cheese.
Experiment with adding vegetables such as mushrooms and green peas or broccoli and tomatoes for an even more nutritious meal.
Our Top Tips For Delicious Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce
- This sauce is incredible when combined with our hand-rolled garlic tagliatelle
- Add in mushrooms, onions, peppers, roasted butternut or any other ingredients you desire
- Can't get hold of cauliflower because it is out of season? Substitute with marrows for an almost perfect 1:1 swap.
- We LOVE nutritional yeast! Although the recipe says 10g we like to be quite heavy-handed with our nutritional yeast. If you like the nutritional yeast flavour don't be shy to double, or even triple the inclusion.
Serve hot and enjoy!