We absolutely LOVE a good smoothie recipe! Smoothies are so easy and can be crammed with all the nutrition and delicious taste your heart and body desires. Perfect for a power-packed breakfast or snack to start the day or recover from strenuous exercise. This recipe includes Tahini - possibly one of the most underrated sauces around! We try squeeze some Tahini into more and more of our recipes these days. Here is why ...
The Power Of Tahini
Tahini is a paste made of roasted sesame seeds. This little sauce definitely does not get the credit it deserves! It may look like an unpromising, oily, beige sludge, but the thick, stiff paste is a star ingredient that deserves a permanent place in the larder.
Thanks to its heavyweight presence, you only need a little tahini to add some serious flavour to any recipe. Its mouth-coating, nutty taste is intense, yet supremely versatile. Just a dessertspoon, mixed with water, lemon juice and a hint of garlic, makes a lip-smacking dressing for salads, grilled or fried meat and falafels.
Without tahini, there's no hummus or baba ganoush. Check out our delicious hummus recipe for details on our to make incredible hummus. But, you can also nudge tahini in a sweet direction. Mix your Tahini with honey and spread it on some sourdough bread or french toast for a delicious sweet snack!
Why is tahini good for me?
Tahini contains more protein than milk and most nuts. It's a rich source of B vitamins that boost energy and brain function, vitamin E, which is protective against heart disease and stroke, and important minerals, such as magnesium, iron and calcium.
You get 2 types of Tahini: a dark variety made from unhulled sesame seeds which include the husk. This is darker in colour, stronger in flavour and more bitter in taste. Not surprising it is the less popular variety of tahini. By far the most popular tahini is the paler version made from hulled sesame seeds. We absolutely LOVE our tahini made from dehulled sesame seeds and can't recommend it enough! But essentially both varieties are packed with health benefits and beautifully nutrient-dense!
How To Make Our Favourite Chocolate Tahini Smoothie Recipe
Credit to the talented Ibetesam Essa @ibtesam_essa for this incredible recipe. Log in to access the full recipe.
- 2 Tbs tahini
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (dairy, almond, coconut, soy or rice.
- Add more if desired)
- 1 Tbs cacao powder
- 1 pitted date or 1 tsp honey
- Handful of blueberries
- Chopped nuts
- Chia seeds
Blend the above ingredients together. Decant into glass and top with chia seeds, nuts and blueberries.
Making the most of your smoothie recipe.
Smoothies are so quick, so easy and can be packed with all the nutritious goodness we need to start the day off with a bang.
- Natural sugars are a great way to add some nutrition and sweetness to your smoothies without creating a spike in your blood sugar that will no sooner send you crashing down. We often use dates in our smoothies for some natural sugar but you can also use a bit of honey, a touch of real maple syrup or other dried fruits like raisins or blueberries.
- Smoothies are a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition. Pump up your smoothie with some protein-boosting hemp seeds or energy-boosting maca powder.
- Toppings can pump up your smoothie quickly and easily – adding delicious flavour and colour. Add a dash of berries, a sprinkle of some cinnamon or some apple pieces to this smoothie for a photo-worthy final product that tastes DIVINE!
Enjoy your smoothie!!