Porridge is an amazing nutritional breakfast option. It can be made out of a range of whole grains and is easy to mix with your favourite fruits, nuts or dried fruits. There are more naturally gluten free grains than gluten containing grains so don't be put off thinking your only options are oats or spelt. You can make porridge out of almost any whole grain.
Undoubtedly the best part about amaranth porridge is that it gets so beautifully creamy. Add the sweet creamy bananas, delicious blueberries, crunchy pecans or coconut chips, and you have yourself a nutrient-dense and filling breakfast.
How To Make This Delicious Gluten-Free Amaranth Porridge
- 1 cup amaranth (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened milk (almond or dairy milk)
- 2 bananas (ripe, sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 a handful of dried blueberries (fresh blueberries are also great when in season)
- A pinch of coconut chips and pecan nut pieces (optional)
- Combine the amaranth, milk, water, and cinnamon in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the liquid to a boil, once boiling, cover and turn the heat down to medium-low, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. (give it a stir halfway through to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn)
- Once it is done simmering, the mixture should be thick and creamy, not too liquid.
- Spoon the porridge into two bowls, drizzle about 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup over the top of each one.
- To finish, top the porridge with sliced bananas, blueberries, pecans, and coconut flakes.
Serve and enjoy!
This porridge is delicious and easy to make. Once you get into a morning porridge routine it is easy to maintain, full of daily nutrients and plenty of self-love.
If you love this recipe be sure to browse our other wholefood breakfast recipes and porridges.